Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cherry Garcia and Kit-Kat ice creams

I love making ice cream at home. It's easy and super delicious. My lovely sister-in-law gave me one of my favorite gifts ever when she got me my Cuisinart ice cream maker AND an extra bowl! Therefore, I can make two flavors in one day, which I did.

Cherry Garcia
1/4 c. shaved plain chocolate (I used Ghiradelli 60% dark)
1/4 maraschino cherries, halved (original recipe calls for Bing or canned, neither of which I had)
2 large eggs
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. milk

How:
1. Place the Shaved chocolate flakes and cherries in separate bowls. Cover and refrigerate.

2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 more minute. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

3. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

4. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it's done), add the chocolate and the cherries, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

~Adapted from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book.



Kit Kat ice cream

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. milk

4 1.6 oz Kit-Kat bars ( I used 11 fun-sized ones)
2 t. vanilla

How:
1. Cut the Kit-Kat bars into bite sized pieces and store in the refrigerator.

2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour n the cream, milk and vanilla, and whisk to blend. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

3. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the chopped candy, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

~Adapted from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book.

Notes:
Both recipes make slightly more then 4 cups, with the Kit-Kat recipe making slightly more than the cherry one.

Please note that it is best (in my opinion) to use pasteurized eggs in these recipes as they are not cooked. Using the pasteurized eggs basically eliminates the chance of salmonella poisoning.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...