Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pork Chops with Onions and Apples

My husband had no idea that people regularly pair pork with applesauce. I didn't want to introduce him to the flavor combo with a plain chop and a bowl of applesauce (although I make some good applesauce) so I searched for and found this recipe. I made a couple of changes and, while I haven't had the recipe exactly as originally printed, I think it's delicious. And so does my husband.

Ingredients:
4 (3/4 inch) thick bone-in pork chops-lightly dipped in flour
2 T. vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 c. apple juice
2 T. brown sugar, divided
1 t. salt
1/4 t. dried rosemary, crumbled
1/4 t. dried thyme
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. cold water
1 large apple (I used a fuji), sliced
1/2 of a medium sized onion, cut into slices
2 T. butter

How:
In a large skillet, brown lightly floured chops in oil. Add the juice, 1 T. brown sugar, salt, rosemary and thyme. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or until meat juices run clear. Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth and add to the skillet. Boil. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until thickened.

In another skillet, cook the apples, onion, butter and 1 T. brown sugar over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Serve over pork chops.

~I think this would be good with rice, as it makes a decent amount of sauce. We also had a simple side salad.

~Original recipe can be found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Glazed-Pork-Chops-2/Detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...