Friday, January 21, 2011

Simple Buttercream

I think my mom makes a very yummy buttercream that's perfect for cakes and cookies.  I just never knew how easy it was.  I'm in search of the right buttercream for my daughter's first birthday cake and this one got her seal of approval immediately.

Ingredients:
1 lb. of powdered sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. 2% milk
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. almond extract

How:
Mix the sugar, shortening and butter in an electric mixer until combined.  It will look very grainy, like soft sand.  At this point, gradually add the milk in while mixing until it reaches a spreadable consistency.  Then mix in the vanilla and almond.

I love this on sugar cookies that are slightly cold, but then again, I just ate a whole bunch from a bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...